Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs
Follow this beef ribs recipe in the morning and then let it cook in the slow cooker while you go about your day. It’s the perfect comfort food, especially on a cold winter’s evening when the wind is howling outside.
After a busy day, you’ll love coming home to these delicious slow cooker ribs - and all you’ll have to do is serve them up and enjoy with a glass of Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon. These tender ribs will fall off the bone and melt in the mouth. Shhh- our secret ingredient and finishing touch is Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon. Make this for friends and family and they’ll be desperate to know your short ribs recipe - whether you tell them or not is up to you!
- 600ml Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1.5kg beef chuck short ribs
- 2 whole shallots, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 240ml beef stock
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Put a pan of oil over a high heat and, when hot, add the ribs. Sprinkle salt and pepper and brown the meat for about three to four minutes on each side.
- Remove the ribs once they have browned and place in the slow cooker.
- Let the pan cool and then put back over a medium heat with the shallots and celery, which have been mined and diced.
- Sauté until tender, which will take about five minutes. Add the tomato paste and mash with the celery and shallots before continuing to sauté on a medium heat for a further four minutes.
- Pour in the wine and beef broth, stirring as you add brown sugar, salt, pepper and flour. Continue stirring to ensure that there are no clumps.
- Let sauce come to the boil and then allow to simmer before pouring over the ribs and adding a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and either cook on ‘Low’ for 11 to 12 hours or ‘High’ for 7 to 8 hours.