Barefoot Smoky Chilli
This delicious slightly smoky, slightly spicy chilli recipe makes a hearty meal that is sure to please. Great for cold Autumn/Winter nights and football parties!
- 1x 400g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1x400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1x400g can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1x400g can diced tomatoes with juice
- 450g tomato paste/ puree
- 125ml Barefoot Shiraz
- 2 canned Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 450g pre-cooked, smoked sausage, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- Olive oil
- Cumin, dried Oregano, dried Basil, ground sea salt, ground pepper to taste
- Shredded Cheddar cheese; diced green onions; and sour cream to garnish
- In a large skillet, add 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil along with ground beef. Season with Cumin and salt and pepper; and brown. Once cooked, drain fat and olive oil from beef and set aside.
- In same skillet, with a few drops olive olive; sear the smoked sausage; remove from skillet, and set aside.
- In same skillet, combine onion, garlic, and bell pepper with 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil and sauté till bell peppers and onions are soft and the onions are translucent then set this mixture aside.
- In a large slow cooker set to low/medium heat, combine black beans; red and white kidney beans; diced tomatoes; tomato paste; Barefoot Shiraz; and Chipotle pepper.
- Add to this mixture the ground beef; smoked sausage; and sautéed onion, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Sprinkle with a bit more Cumin and add a dash of Oregano and Basil along with sea salt and pepper. Stir well until completely blended.
- Add additional portions of seasoning based on taste preference and add water (a few ounces at a time) if the mixture is too thick.
- At this stage, it should not be overly thick but also should not be too watery since the simmering will naturally thicken the mixture.
- Simmer on low/medium heat for 2 to 3 hours; stirring occasionally to check on consistency.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with Cheddar cheese; add a dollop of sour cream; and drizzle with green onion.