Mulled Wine Trifle
Christmas isn’t Christmas without trifle. But have you ever had Barefoot Mulled Wine Trifle? Give this a try at your Christmas get-together - we promise you won't be disappointed! Makes 4
- 500ml Barefoot Merlot
- 250ml cranberry juice
- 2x cinnamon stick
- 4x star anise
- 2x slices of fresh orange
- Handful of cloves
- 2x 12g sachets gelatine powder
- 500g ready-made custard
- 6x mini Swiss rolls, cut into thin slices
- 300ml whipping cream
- Ground cinnamon for decoration (optional)
- Put the wine, cranberry juice, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves in a saucepan and gently heat until steaming hot but not boiling.
- Strain through a sieve into a jug to remove the mulled spices and any remnants.
- Add gelatine powder to the mulled wine mixture and stir quickly for 1-2 mins until the gelatine has thoroughly dissolved. Scrape sides of the jug to make sure all the gelatine is fully incorporated.
- Pour into your wine glasses until 1/3 full and put in the fridge for 4-6 hours until the jelly has completely set.
- Once the jelly has set, arrange the swiss roll slices around the edge of the glass so the swirl can be seen from the outside.
- Spoon custard into the middle so it comes to the top of the swiss roll slices.
- Whip the cream to a thick, dollop consistency and spoon on top of the custard.
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon on top and enjoy!